Company sacks staff over ‘insensitive remark’ on fireman’s death

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 18 – The death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim last night has triggered an outpouring of sympathy from all quarters but there remains lack of empathy on the part of some Malaysians.

An auto dealer today terminated the services of a staff over an “insensitive remark” made by the staff concerned on Adib’s passing.

Sri Utama Auto Sdn Bhd, released a statement using its official letterhead, which also carried the Honda logo, apologising for its staff’s actions. The statement was also shared on the company’s Facebook page.

“We sincerely apologise for the insensitive remark made by our staff (Caryn Yean) on the sad passing of fireman Adib. We do not condone nor will tolerate such behaviour online or offline.

“At this moment, we have suspended the said staff (Caryn Yean) and started an internal investigation, and we will take the sternest action possible.

“Our deepest condolences to the (deceased) fireman’s family. Our thoughts are with them at such a difficult time.”

Honda Malaysia supported the actions of its dealer, stating “In light of the viral comments, rest assured that Honda Malaysia are taking the necessary action regarding this matter.” in a Facebook post.

Police report made by auto dealer

The company, which is located in Setapak in Kuala Lumpur, has confirmed with NMT that the staff concerned has been fired for her indiscretion on such a tragic incident.

A Sri Utama HR department staff told NMT that the company also made a police report this morning prior to the release of the statement.

Utusan Malaysia reported that the “insensitive remark” by Caryn Yean touched on religion. The following is a screenshot of the alleged post as reported by the Bahasa Malaysia daily online.


Fireman Adib dies 20 days after being critically injured

Fireman Adib passed away last night, 20 days after he was severely injured by attackers near the Sri Maha Mariamman Devasthanam temple in Subang Jaya on November 27.

He was said to have sufferred multiple broken ribs that resulted in a punctured lung, bruises on his chest and abdomen.

Adib, 24, had been in a critical state all this time and was initially taken to the Sime Darby Medical Centre in Subang Jaya but was later transferred to the National Heart Institute (IJN).

He was due to be married this Saturday. His body was taken to his hometown in Kedah today for burial.

Adib was a member of the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Station’s Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) unit.