Flood worsens, number of victims increases in three states
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 18 — The flood situation in the three states, namely Kelantan, Terengganu and Perak has worsened due to continuous rain, with more victims evacuated to relief centres.
The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) issued a danger-level weather alert earlier today, with continuous heavy rain expected to occur across Terengganu and some areas in Kelantan from today until Tuesday.
Meanwhile, severe-level continuous heavy rain is expected to occur in several areas in Kedah, Kelantan, Perak and Pahang during the same period, while an alert-level continuous rain notice has been issued for Perlis, Penang, as well as several areas in Kedah, Perak and Johor.
In KELANTAN, the number of flood victims increased to 3,320 people from 975 families this evening compared to 1,584 people from 490 families in the morning, involving 32 relief centres in seven districts, namely Kota Bharu, Pasir Mas, Tanah Merah, Pasir Puteh, Kuala Krai, Machang and Jeli.
According to the ‘Public InfoBanjir’ portal at https://publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my/, river water in four areas in the state had passed the danger level, namely Sungai Lebir in Kampung Tualang, Kuala Krai with a reading of 35.37 meters (m); Sungai Lanas near Jeli (29.74 m); Sungai Golok in Kampung Jenob, Tanah Merah (25.21 m); and Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas (9.64 m).
In TERENGGANU, the number of flood-affected residents placed at relief centres increased sharply to 1,866 people from 512 families compared to 47 people from 13 families this morning.
According to a statement from the State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) Secretariat, 38 relief centres have been opened in six districts so far, namely one in Kuala Terengganu, Dungun (two), five each in Setiu and Kemaman, Hulu Terengganu (12) and Besut (13).
A total of 13 people from three families were affected in Kuala Terengganu; Setiu (196 people from 67 families), Dungun (19 people from four families), Kemaman (459 people from 107 families), Besut (718 people from 188 families) and Hulu Terengganu ( 461 people from 143 families).
Yesterday, the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (JPS) in a statement warned that several areas in the districts of Kuala Terengganu, Besut, Setiu, Hulu Terengganu, Dungun and Kemaman were expected to be flooded from today based on its flood forecasting model.
In PERAK, a total of 47 victims from 15 families were accommodated in two relief centres as of 2 pm, namely at SM Abdul Rahman Talib in Batu 4 and SK Sungai Tiang Darat.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi when met at SK Sungai Tiang Darat said pumps would be built and installed in nine locations in the Bagan Datuk district immediately as suggested by the District Disaster Committee to resolve the flood problem.
A flood victim at the relief centre who declined to be identified said that she hoped to be able to return home after having to spend several nights there with her children.
Meanwhile, in JOHOR, the number of flood victims in Segamat remains at 75 from 21 families placed in three relief centres, namely the Kampung Batu Badak Community Hall housing 34 people; Kampung Kuala Paya Community Hall (27) and Kampung Tasek Community Hall (14).
The state’s JPBN said that all the victims were from Kampung Seberang Batu Badak, Kampung Batu 5 and Kampung Kuala Paya.
It added that river water at Sungai Muar (Buloh Kasap) in Segamat was at the warning level with a height of 8.91m while the weather was reported to be cloudy in several districts, including Pontian, Segamat and Batu Pahat, while it would rain in Johor Bahru and Kota Tinggi this evening.