February 24, 2024

New Malaysia Times

Blog News Impose Expose

Malaysia attracted RM123.3 billion approved investments from January to June

political stability

Kuala Lumpur, September 2 — Malaysia attracted RM123.3 billion (US$28.0 billion) worth of approved investments in the manufacturing, services and primary sectors involving 1,714 projects from January to June 2022 with 57,771 job opportunities expected to be created in the country. 

In a statement today, the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (Mida) said foreign direct investments (FDIs) remained the major contributor at 70.9% or RM87.4 billion (US$19.9 billion), while investments from domestic sources contributed 29.1% amounting to RM35.9 billion (US$8.2 billion).

During this period, the services sector assumed a significant role in driving the country’s economic recovery, accounting for 63.3% of total approved investments with RM78.0 billion (US$17.7 billion) from 1,351 projects.

This translates to an increase of 48.8% from the RM52.4 billion (US$12.6 billion) worth of investments for the first six months a year ago, the statement said.

A total of 22,569 new jobs are expected to be created in the services sector for 2022, the statement said.

approved investments

The manufacturing sector came next, with RM43.1 billion (US$9.8 billion) worth of approved investments, accounting for 34.9% of total approved investments versus RM75.8 billion (US$18.3 billion) for January to June 2021.

Mida cited a mega project approval for the high total approved investments in the manufacturing sector in the 2021 period.

Of the total FDIs approved, Mida said China dominated with investments totalling RM48.6 billion (US$11 billion), followed by Germany (RM9 billion), Singapore (RM6 billion), Brunei (RM5.1 billion), and the Netherlands (RM4.1 billion).

For state-approved projects, Mida said five major states – Johor, Selangor, Sabah, Kedah and Penang – contributed RM103.5 billion (US$23.5 billion), or 83.9% of the total investments approved.

International Trade and Industry Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali said Malaysia was on the right trajectory to secure more high quality, high impact and capital intensive projects, with services being the economy’s key growth driver and the largest contributor for approved investments for the first half of the year. 

“In maintaining the momentum, Miti will continue to strengthen the country’s competitiveness by developing economic complexity, nurturing a strong industrial ecosystem with innovation intensity, enhancing inclusivity by creation of high-income jobs and promoting opportunities to participate in the regional and global supply chains.”

“Driven by the National Investment Aspirations, we will intensify our focus towards sectors such as the digital economy, electrical and electronics, pharmaceutical, chemical and aerospace with significant economic potential and sustainable long-term growth,” he said.

Mida said the government had lined up strategic and focused trade and investment missions targeted at capturing investments in high technology, innovation and research-driven industries that will complement and further strengthen the Malaysian industrial ecosystem.

Mida said foreign investments made up the largest portion, recording RM50.4 billion (US$11.5 billion) or 64.6% of total approved investments for the services sector, while the remaining 35.4%, or RM27.6 billion (US$6.3 billion), was from domestic sources.

NMT as reported by Bernama