Kuala Lumpur, June 23 — Former second finance minister Ahmad Husni Mohamad Hanadzlah told the Kuala Lumpur High Court yesterday that if he were the prime minister, he would have taken action after US$700 million belonging to 1MDB was transferred to Good Star Limited, owned by fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.
Husni, 70, said he would have taken immediate action, claiming it would have affected the financial position of the government.
The 20th prosecution witness said when he learnt that the money was transferred out to Good Star Limited and not directly to PetroSaudi International (PSI), he had asked Najib Razak about it.
However, he said the former prime minister kept quiet and did not react or take any action over the matter.
“If I were the top leader, I would have been shocked and I would have taken action. Tapi dia relax je (he was just relaxed),” he said when cross-examined by Najib’s lead counsel Muhammad Shafee Abdullah at Najib’s trial for the misappropriation of RM2.3 billion in funds from 1MDB.
The court was previously told that the US$700 million was transferred to Good Star Limited on Sept 30, 2009.
“Najib never worried about that matter. I met him several times, but no action was taken by him,” said Husni.
Shafee: As PM, without the engagement of the company, how could he have taken action?
Husni: He could call the management, he could remove them (management). But no action also. Tapi dia relax je (but he was relaxed).
Husni also testified that Najib had the power to decide on everything related to 1MDB, including the approval of investments.
Najib, 68, faces four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3 billion from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.
The trial before judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah continues today.