Nomination kicks off for Melaka polls under new norms

By , in Local Politics on .

Melaka, Nov 8 — The nomination of candidates for the 15th Melaka election began at 9 am today at 28 nomination centers across the state under strict SOPs implemented by the Election Commission (EC) to curb the spread of Covid-19.

So far, five parties – Barisan Nasional (BN), Perikatan Nasional (PN), Pakatan Harapan (PH), Parti Bumiputera Perkasa Malaysia (Putra) and Parti Perikatan India Muslim Nasional (IMAN) – as well as one independent candidate have announced their intention to contest the polls.

Ninety-one candidates are expected to submit their nomination papers before the centers close at 10 am.

Unlike previously, no supporters are allowed to partake in the process. Only candidates, their proposers, and seconders are allowed to enter the nomination centers to submit their nomination papers.


Once the nomination process has been completed, the returning officer will declare the candidates eligible to contest.

The EC has set Nov 20 as the polling date for the Melaka state election with early voting on Nov 16, following the dissolution of the state legislative assembly on Oct 4 after four assemblymen withdrew their support for the leadership of Chief Minister Sulaiman Md Ali.

Melaka has 28 state constituencies, with a total of 495,196 registered voters, 240,530 or 48.57% of whom are men and the remaining 254,666 or 51.43%, women.

NMT as reported by Bernama

Recommended articles