COVID-19: Only 19 new cases, no deaths – Health DG
PUTRAJAYA, June 7 – The number of new COVID-19 cases in the country today remained at double digits at 19 with no deaths reported, said Health director-general of Health Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
He said the death tolls from the virus stood at 117 or 1.4 per cent of the total number of cases.
Of the 19 new cases, six were imported cases and another 13 were local transmissions.
“For local transmissions, two cases involve foreigners while 11 cases are Malaysians,” he said at a COVID-19 daily media conference here today.
He said this brought the cumulative figure for COVID-19 cases to 8,322 while the number of active COVID-19 cases with infectivity stood at 1,531 cases and they were isolated and treated.
Dr Noor Hisham said a total of 39 cases have recovered and allowed to be discharged today, bringing the cumulative figure for recoveries to 6,674 cases or 80.2 per cent of the total number of cases.
“Thus far, five positive cases of COVID-19 are still being treated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) but none is on ventilator support,” he said.
He said, out of 11 cases involving Malaysians, six cases were detected in Selangor, two in the Federal Territory, two in Sabah and one in Negeri Sembilan.
He said in Selangor, two cases were detected during the screening at a rehabilitation centre in Dengkil; two cases from madrasah tahfiz screening, while one case is in police custody at the Sabak Bernam district police headquarters and one case from screening conducted at a workplace in Klang.
“In Kuala Lumpur, it involved the Cheras Apartment Cluster and the new Gombak Cluster with one case each and they are close contacts of cases 7064 and case 7246 respectively.
“In Sabah, two cases were detected during close contact (family members) screening linked to cases 3641 and 4537 and one case involving factory worker in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan,” he said.
Meanwhile, commenting on the announcement of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) to be implemented on June 10, Dr Noor Hisham said that the implementation of the ongoing Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) and the RMCO would only succeed provided that all parties were in full compliance with the standard operating procedure (SOP).
“Therefore, the Ministry of Health (MOH) urges everyone to remain compliant with the SOP and stay vigilant to ensure that the transmission of COVID-19 infection can be broken. We look after ourselves, our families, our communities, and we look after the country. If not us, who else,” he said.
Previously, the government has adopted an aggressive approach by enforcing the Movement Control Order (MCO) on March 18 and followed by the CMCO since May 4 which is scheduled to end on June 9.
The implementation of the RMCO will be carried out in stages by the government, and will ensure the country goes through the recovery phase in the COVID-19 outbreak. This will allow more economic, social, educational, religious and business activities to resume operations and the public’s movement will also be eased.