ALOR SETAR, March 13 — The Kedah government has the option of choosing another company to develop the Kulim International Airport (KXP) project should Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary’s company pulls out.
Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor said there are other companies, which are capable of being involved in the project, that have sent KXP development proposal papers to the state government.
He said the state government would also call KXP Airport City to give a briefing on the extent of dealings with Syed Mokhtar’s company concerning the project.
“If he (Syed Mokhtar) has to reject, please do, I have no problems with him, perhaps he can be involved in other projects. If he rejects it, we will make a new assessment (of other companies).
“We will see the final decision of the Albukhary Group based on their answer later,” he told a media conference after the Kedah State Legislative Assembly sitting at Wisma Darul Aman, here, today.
Muhammad Sanusi said the state government made an offer to two companies, including Syed Mokhtar’s company, for a joint venture to develop the KXP project and the other company, which has cargo expertise, has already given feedback saying it is ready to collaborate.
Meanwhile, the Kedah Menteri Besar said that the 12 new houses built by the state government for those who lost their homes o floods and a water surge in Kampung Iboi near Baling last year are expected to be completed before April 27.
“Those wanting to stay there have taken part in the draw for the houses that they will be getting,” he said, adding that eight more houses built by the Kedah Regional Development Authority (KEDA) for victims of the water surge have already been completed.
The Kedah state assembly will sit again tomorrow.