BAGAN SERAI, Aug 23 — The current floods in Alor Pongsu is said to be the worst since 18 years ago.
A survey by Bernama to the affected areas today found the flood water in some of the residential areas has yet to recede, with Kampung Matang Pasir and Kampung Parit Simpang Lima still under one meter of water.
The floods, which hit the area last Friday, following which continuous heavy rain, shocked villagers who were unprepared and did not have time to save their property and personal documents.
Lorry driver, Jamaludin Ahmad, 54, who is among the evacuees at the relief centre (PPS) at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Alor Pongsu here, hoped the flood water in his village would recede soon so that he could bring his family home.
Jamaludin, of Kampung Matang Pasir, is at the PPS with his wife and four children.
“The water in the village is still one-meter deep, which is still the same level when we were evacuated last Friday,” he said, adding that most of the furniture, as well as a refrigerator, washing machine, and his motorcycle, were damaged.
Another evacuee, Saerah Abdul Rahman, 75, a single mother from Kampung Parit Simpang Lima, said the fast-rising flood water was unexpected and she was thankful to her neighbors for helping to move some of her belongings to a higher place.
“I live alone. The water was only ankle deep, but by 1.30 am yesterday, it was already chest high. Luckily for me, there are neighbors and relatives who live nearby to help me,” she added.
Another single mother, Salasiah Hashim, 71, of Kampung Matang Pasir, who was alone at home when the flood hit the village, said she hoped there would be some form of aid for those affected by the floods as many of their household goods and furniture were damaged.
As of this morning, the number of flood victims in Perak recorded a slight increase with 291 people from 79 families at four PPS in three districts, compared to 284 yesterday.
The districts include Larut, Matang, and Selama with 68 people (19 families) at the PPS at SK Alor Pongsu and 102 people from 32 families at SK Matang.
The exit at the Alor Pongsu Toll Plaza on the North-South Expressway (PLUS) is also reported to be flooded due to a bund burst at the Sungai Samagagah flood mitigation plan (RTB) and is only passable by heavy vehicles.
Meanwhile, the police advised evacuees not to worry about losing their belongings at home as patrols are conducted in areas affected by the floods.
Kerian district police chief Supt Mazuki Mat said a total of 20 policemen from the Bagan Serai police station and the Kerian district police headquarters (IPD) had been assigned to monitor and patrol the affected areas.
Apart from that, Mazuki said the District Commercial Crime Division is also monitoring social media to ensure that no one took advantage of the floods to collect donations, purportedly for the flood victims.