PUTRAJAYA, July 21 — A new cluster named Sentosa Cluster has been detected and it involves a hospital in Kuching, Sarawak, said Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
He said that as of noon today, 61 people from this cluster had been screened and five of them tested positive for COVID-19, while the other 56 tested negative.
“The first case of this cluster (which is case 8773) is a health worker who experienced respiratory tract symptoms on July 13 and tested positive for COVID-19 on July 19.
“Following that, investigations and active case detection were carried out. All the cases are being treated at the Sarawak General Hospital,” he told reporters at a daily media briefing on COVID-19 here today.
Dr Nor Hisham said services at the affected hospital was still being carried out and that outpatients would be referred to hospitals nearby for treatment for the time being.
Preventive measures such as disinfection have also been conducted, he said.
Meanwhile, he expressed concern over the public’s lackadaisical attitude towards protecting senior citizens from COVID-19 infections.
He said the public should adopt preventive measures like wearing face masks, diligently washing their hands and practising safe social distancing when they are in the midst of this group of people.
“As of noon today (July 21), 69.1 per cent of COVID-19 fatalities in Malaysia involved senior citizens. And recently there was another COVID-19 death reported which involved a senior citizen from the Kluang Old Folks Home cluster.
“Thus far, 11 senior citizens from this cluster (in Kluang) have tested positive for COVID-19,” he said.
As such, he said, it was the responsibility of the family members or guardians living in the same house as the senior citizens to ensure they are cared and protected from COVID-19 infection.
He said each individual must play his or her role and take responsibility in protecting the safety and health of senior citizens in their families, communities and the country.
At the press conference, Dr Noor Hisham said that when all the inmates at the Kluang old folks home were screened in May, none tested positive.
“On July 10, the index case had symptoms and was treated by a private doctor, but the ministry was not informed (of this). When t the patient was taken to the hospital, he was tested positive,” he said.
Dr Noor Hisham said investigation on the source of infection was still ongoing, and the ministry believes it could have been transmitted by an outsider, such as a visitor or caregiver.
The area is now under Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO), he said.