JOHOR, April 2 – The Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar today urged all concerned parties not to hold the Ramadan Bazaar during this period of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Every day new cases are being detected. Now is not the time to hold any event involving mass gatherings. The complete effect of the movement control order must be achieved first. This must be our priority and concern. The Ramadan Bazaar can wait,” he said in a statement to the Royal Press Office.
His Majesty said the rakyat must be patient, stay at home and avoid any contact with others until the Health authorities have given the all clear sign.
“If we don’t follow and ignore the movement control order, the virus will spread and further strain the resources of our healthcare system, putting our healthcare workers and other frontliners at even greater risk. If we reach breaking point then we will all be helpless,” His Majesty warned.
The Sultan said the aftermath of such a likelihood would have disastrous consequences on all strata of society and the country as a whole.
“Don’t take advantage of the situation and hold any mass gatherings. There should be no excuses. Everybody must play their part to contain and fight the spread of this deadly disease. The faster we all cooperate, the sooner we can return to normalcy,” he stressed.
His Majesty also said now is the time for all to unite and help the government combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Forget about politics, please… let us work together to save our country from this crisis,” he said.
Other states said NO to Ramadan bazaar
Few other states in Malaysia had already announced that Ramadan bazaar may not be held in this battle against the unseen enemy.
Federal Territories Minister Annuar Musa said no decision had been made yet on the matter, a day after he was reported as saying that bazaars would continue with adjustments to prevent congestion in light of the movement control order (MCO).
Johor Ruler playing key role to urge people to Stay At Home
Sultan Ibrahim has been playing a vital role especially in Johor, urging citizens to stay at home and to respect the Movement Control Order during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The rakyat must cooperate and help break the chain of COVID-19 infections. Don’t risk your loved ones by ignoring the Movement Control Order,” he said earlier today.
On Monday, His Majesty advised the residents of two areas in Simpang Renggam that have been placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) to remain calm and stay at home.
“I hope the residents in the affected areas do not panic and cooperate with the authorities in preventing the COVID-19 virus from spreading to other areas,” said His Majesty.
The two affected areas in Simpang Renggam are Kampung Dato’ Ibrahim Majid and Bandar Baharu Dato’ Ibrahim Majid.