Anwar’s ex-staff files suit detailing explicit, shocking account of incident at Bukit Segambut

By , in Crime Nation on .

Kuala Lumpur, 15 July — A 28-year-old former staff of Anwar Ibrahim, who two years ago accused the PKR leader of sexually assaulting him, has filed a civil lawsuit containing shocking and explicit details of the incident which allegedly took place about 10 days before the politician won the Port Dickson by-election on Oct 13, 2018.

Muhammed Yusoff Rawther said he had suffered serious trauma as well as physical, psychological, and sociological disturbances as a result of the incident.

“Further, despite being a victim of sexual assault by a prominent figure, the plaintiff did not receive the support he deserved, due to the status of the defendant (Anwar) and in particular his status at that time as ‘prime minister-in-waiting as well as his image as a ‘reform icon’,” said the statement of claim filed by Yusoff’s lawyers at the Kuala Lumpur High Court yesterday.

“Instead of receiving support, the plaintiff has been demonized as purportedly being part of a plot to politically damage and/or ruin the defendant’s political career.”

Yusoff is seeking a court declaration that the PKR leader had committed the sexual assault, as well as general, exemplary, and aggravated damages which include the cost of the therapy sessions he is currently attending.

The suit lists about a dozen lewd acts and utterances allegedly committed by Anwar.

Yusoff Rawther

In court documents sighted by MalaysiaNow, Yusoff, the grandson of the late prominent consumer rights activist SM Idris, said he was introduced to Anwar in person when the PKR leader visited his grandfather at their home in Penang on Sept 2, 2018, less than four months after he was granted a royal pardon for a sodomy conviction, cutting short a five-year prison sentence.

Yusoff, who worked at Anwar’s bungalow office near Bukit Gasing, Petaling Jaya said his duties included conducting research on policy matters, preparing speeches, as well as handling correspondence with foreign dignitaries and business leaders.

Yusoff’s statutory declaration in November 2019 and police report against Anwar was followed by weeks of investigation under Section 354 of the Penal Code which deals with criminal force to outrage modesty.

During investigations, police called both Anwar and Yusoff, the latter of whom agreed to take a four-hour polygraph test at Bukit Aman. Anwar meanwhile had refused to take the test.

On Jan 14, 2020, the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC), then under Tommy Thomas, said it would not press charges against Anwar due to “insufficient evidence” and “contradictions” of facts.

Three days later, Anwar said he would file a defamation suit against Yusoff over his Nov 19 statutory declaration, but later decided against it.

Anwar’s lawyer Ramkarpal Singh said the decision was because his client’s name had been “cleared” by the AGC’s decision, adding that a suit would take “a considerable amount of time and involve unnecessary costs”.

Recommended articles