Iconic Penang ferry service to continue – Finance Minister

By , in Local on .

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 17 — The iconic Penang ferry service will remain in service, said Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Abdul Aziz.

He said the Federal government had approved an allocation of RM30 million to Penang Port to take over the ferry service.

“I confirm that the allocation as previously approved will be channeled in two installments, namely the RM15 million for 2021 included in the allocation that was approved under the Supply Bill 2021.

penang ferry

“Preparations will be made to channel the remaining RM15 million. The government will ensure that Penang Port continues with the ferry services which is iconic and of heritage value,” he said when winding up the debate on the Temporary Measures for Government Financing (Coronavirus Disease 2019 (Covid-19)(Amendment)) Bill 2020 in the Dewan Rakyat today..

Issues related to the Penang ferry service were raised by Lim Guan Eng (PH-Bagan) during the debate session on the bill.

Earlier, the Penang Port Commission had announced that the Penang ferry service, which had been operating for 126 years, would be replaced by speedboats from Jan 1.

BERNAMA

Recommended articles