Malaysia records 10 new COVID-19 cases, lowest since MCO enforcement

By , in COVID19 on . Tagged width:

PUTRAJAYA, May 28 – Only 10 new COVID-19 cases were recorded today, bringing the current cumulative total to 7,629 cases, Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said.

This is the lowest daily case recorded since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was enforced on March 18.

Another good news is that there has been no fatality recorded since last week, keeping the death toll at 115.

He said another 86 cases had recovered and were discharged today, bringing the total number of recoveries to 6,169 cases or 80.9 per cent of the positive cases.

“As at noon today, eight patients are being treated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), including four who require ventilator support,” he said at a daily COVID-19 media briefing here today.

He said all the new cases were local transmissions, of which five cases were non-Malaysians, adding that there were no imported cases.

Dr Noor Hisham said since the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) was implemented on  May 4, transmission of COVID-19 among the local population had been decreasing.

“Almost a month since the CMCO implementation, the number of  positive cases recorded from May 4 up to yesterday was 1,189 cases, of which 22.7 per cent (270 cases) involved Malaysians, while 77.3 per cent (919 cases) involved non-citizens, which included 383 foreigners at three Immigration Detention Depots.

“We would not have achieved the results without public cooperation and compliance of the government’s advice, recommendations and standard operating procedures (SOPs) as well as enforcement activities by the various government agencies.

“As such, MOH would like to thank and congratulate the related industries and the public for their willingness to bear the burden together with the government, for the sake of the community and the country. If we continue with our efforts, we will definitely be able to break the chain of COVID-19 transmission in Malaysia,” he said.

Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham said the public could use the MySejahtera Covid-19 hotspot tracker application to assist them in their daily activities, including planning daily trips and identifying areas which are at risk of COVID-19.

“With this application, users will be able to get more information on Covid-19 hotspots within one kilometre of the searched area.

“… therefore, this function can be used as a guide in making decision to travel from one place to another,” he said.

Dr Noor Hisham also urged the public to download the application as its key functions were to help conduct health self-assessment as well as to obtain the latest information from  MOH’s Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC).

However, he said the public are advised to avoid non-essential travel to areas at risk of COVID-19 infection.

– BERNAMA